• Timeforsmilin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #10024 by Timeforsmilin
Reinstall Joomla to Update was created by Timeforsmilin
Hi Jose!

I would like your opinion, since you have helped me many times.

One of my websites has been updated to Joomla 4.4, and I'm preparing for Joomla 5. This domain originated around Joomla 1.5, and may have been recreated with Joomla 3, although it could've been backed up, and then restored. I've changed colation for the database, and done everything to make it work the way I have wanted. Do you think it might be a good idea start from scratch, and rebuild the site from a fresh install of Joomla 5? That would update htaccess, which could be bloated and outdated from those old versions and settings that had to be used in those days.

As always, I appreciate that you, and your software, keep my sites working, and free from spreading electronic disease around the world!

Cheers,
Louis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #10025 by Jose
Replied by Jose on topic Reinstall Joomla to Update
Hi Louis,

If the site is working fine, I wouldn't rebuild it from scratch. Joomla does a good job of removing outdated tables and files, so IMO there is no need to waste time.

As for .htaccess, note that there is a htaccess.txt file in the root folder; you can use it to get the latest changes from Joomla 5.

Regards,
Jose

• Timeforsmilin
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 months 1 week ago #10032 by Timeforsmilin
Replied by Timeforsmilin on topic Reinstall Joomla to Update
Thank you Jose!

Sorry for the late response. Joomla has made some progress with http headers and other items, so is there less need to apply your corrective measures to the htaccess file with a newer version of Joomla and htaccess?

Thanks!
Louis

More
3 months 1 week ago #10033 by Jose
You're welcome Louis!!

Regards,
Jose

More
3 months 6 days ago #10034 by wallyhowe
Replied by wallyhowe on topic Reinstall Joomla to Update
Hi Jose
I am in a similat position to Louis. We are moving our Joomla 4 - 2 site to new servers and then intend to upgrade to Joomla 5.
Our htaccess is similarly bloated and has outdated entries and I was intending to see how we could bring it up to date and also match with what Securitycheckpro thinks is in htaccess.
However, in the process of moving sites we could not get the site to load properly until we cleared out htaccess.
So now we definately have an htaccess out of step with securitycheckpro. We also have a huge blacklist built up over 6 years or so.
What is the best way to clear out the Securitycheckpro content and rebuild htaccess in step with it?
Thanks as ever
Wallyhowe

More
3 months 6 days ago #10035 by Jose
Hi Wallyhowe,

The best way to do the migration is to use the new .htaccess file that comes with Joomla 5 (save the old .htaccess before) and then update the new one with the code you have added during these years.

Regarding the http headers protection, you will probably have to modify the old entries because there will be new domains to be allowed in each section of the content security policy, mainly (data, default-src, script-src...). This is why you can use the new Joomla plugin, because configuring .htaccess through Securitycheck Pro takes some time.

Regards,
Jose

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds